Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Why remakes of successful movies?

Burnt children dread fire but it seems that burnt film-makers don't. If we look back at the remakes in recent years, we find that people have a tendency to remake films which were successful previously. It is obviously driven by the fact that they are in awe of the movies they liked at that point of time. But it also seems to have a lot to do with the fact that the 'junta' is curious about the oldies as well.
But, honestly, with the exception of 'Don' and 'Devdas', every other such venture tanked. (And 'Don', too, was slapped by the critics for SRK' acting....though I believe it was more to do with how these guys perceived the new-age Don....not 'cool' but one who is, in a way, a spoilt brat besides being a thorough pro at what he's doing).
Honestly, there are tons of movies which had brilliant storylines but which bombed at the box office because of substandard execution or publicity. It would be only justice to help them see the light of day once more. A movie (though not that old actually), that qualifies the aforementioned condition is Nayak which, honestly, was a good story treated horribly.(There are many others when I started with this post but, I guess, after 3 months, I don't remember many of the names)
I wish the movie-makers give this idea a chance because it is something that should come just naturally rather than something these guys avoid.

No comments: